I thought I'd share my top ten tips for colouring royal icing for biscuit decorating.
1. We use Sugar Flair Food Gels to colour royal icing here – available from Amazon or from good bakery suppliers. They come in a huge array of pastel and vibrant colours - here are just a few of my favourites.
2. A little goes a long way! Use a cocktail stick to add colour to your royal icing a little at a time.
3. Stir well using a spoon or spatula and make sure the colour is fully incorporated before adding any more.
4. Don’t add too much gel colour - it will split your royal icing and make it runny.
5. Once you’ve made your coloured icing leave it 30 mins or so to let the colour ‘develop’.
6. Don’t forget to colour white icing with white gel colour for a brighter white.
7. Icing will dry slightly darker than its wet colour.
8. Make sure your flood icing is dry before adding another colour on top or next to it to prevent the dreaded colour 'bleed'.
9. Always make more coloured icing than you need. If you run out you’ll never ever be able to colour match to the original colour again!!!
10. Wear an apron!!