This was my absolute favourite as a child - light, golden sponge on the top and a thick, zesty, gooey sauce on the bottom.
180g caster sugar
3 eggs - separated
50g butter and alittle extra for greasing
50g plain flour
2 large lemons - zest and juice
1. preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
2. grease a souffle or oven proof dish with a little butter
3. place the sugar, egg yolks, butter, flour, and the zest and juice of the lemons in a bowl and whisk together - an electric hand whisk works well for this
4. in a separate bowl whisk the egg whites (using a clean whisk) until firm then fold them into the lemon mixture
5. pour into the dish and place into a roasting tin filled with boiling water - the water should come about half way up the dish
6. carefully place in the oven - the top should brown but the underneath should remain gooey - this'll take around 30-45 mins depending on how deep the dish is
7. dust with icing sugar
Best served warm ...