These delicate little cakes are absolutely delicious - for an afternoon tea, summer picnic or a dessert with a big dollop of creme fraiche. They're easy to make, keep really well in an airtight container and can be frozen too. A total winner in my book!
Here's my recipe:
150g pistachio whizzed to a fine powder plus a few extra chopped ones for decoration
70g butter - melted
60g plain flour
150g icing sugar
6 egg whites
zest of two oranges
pinch of salt
1. preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Grease and flour a 12 hole muffin tin.
2. in a large bowl froth the egg whites with a fork then add the pistachios, flour, sugar and most of the orange zest. Fold in the melted butter until combined.
3. divide the mixture into the muffin tin holes and bake for around 12 mins until firm and golden.
4. leave in the tin for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
5. dust with icing sugar, the remaining chopped pistachios and some orange zest.